Tuesday, January 24, 2012

New Psychologist

Ever since my neuropysch test I have been going to see a psychologist.  I am not the type to talk to someone about my feelings.  My whole life I've been taught to repress my feelings.  I went to a psychologist the first time I dealt with depression and she blamed everything on my mother.  Yes the reason why I repress my feelings.

I've been going to a practice that was recommended by my primary doctor.  I started off with this one lady and she was nice, but all she did during my visits was talk about her sick dog and eat her lunch.  She always asked if I minded if she ate, and me being that type of person said "of course not".  I saw her for about 3 months.  I then got a call from the receptionist telling me she was no longer there and would I like to see someone else.  Sure why not. 

I met with the second psychologist and she was great.  She took control of the appointment and we made a plan.  (I was really messed up when I met this one, it was right after I went to see the doctor at the best hospital in the city and told me "Yeah you have PCS and it could last for years and there is nothing I can do for you".  I was a wreck.)  She hinted that the first one may have been let go because she talked about her dog, someone obviously complained.  I made my 2nd appointment and had to cancel because I got a stomach bug.  I called after the holidays to make another appointment and was informed she left the practice would you like to see someone else.  Sure why not!!!!!

OK!  So I go today not feeling real confident about this whole experience.

I meet with the third lady and she is really nice.  Her office is the first lady's office.  She said I kinda bounced around a little and don't worry I'll be staying a while.  She asked great questions.  I'm feeling a little better now.  She told me to come up with some coping skills that will help me spend quality time with my son.  I explained to her that I am light and noise sensitive and my son is super loud, he takes after his father (I'm gonna hear it for that one).  I have to come up with some quiet activities for him and I to do together. We have done some craft projects together.  He likes to decorate his room for each holiday.  We just made a bunch of hearts for his room and cut them out.  She also suggested playing a game with him like Uno.  I will give this a try he likes Uno. I also got some educational games for my phone and I'll play those with him.  I go back to her in three weeks, hopefully.

Any suggestions?  Remember quiet activities.

(PS:  I typed this entire post with my cat sleeping on my arm!!  She loves my laptop.)

2 comments:

  1. Yes I have a suggestion, plan activities w/your son that he gets to choose! Don't give him a blanket, anything goes type thing, but set up some guidelines - such as NOTHING LOAD (including his voice) and let him plan the activities, this will get him engaged to be thinking more about what he can do for others and keep him "in the game"! We all have to make adjustments in life, this could be one he could make and succeed with! Just a thought hope you think it's worth while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It needs to be something he is interested in. I was thinking crafty things. He likes to draw and paint. May even try baking. I may take him to the craft store and see if he picks anything out. I just saw a blog about stamping, who knows he may like it. Thanks for the tip! I just found out his swim team is almost over too. I need to find another physical activity to do to ge him exercise and get is energy out. Have to start checking around. Karate maybe.

    ReplyDelete